With about 500 million daily active users, and the second most popular social media, Instagram is a place to promote or start a business, become popular, and reach goals. Instagram users spend 53 minutes per day, which is just 5 minutes less than Facebook. However, sometimes users may feel tired of being on social media and decide to deactivate their Instagram, Facebook, or any social media accounts temporarily or permanently.
Besides, some users might want to disable their current account and create a new Instagram account with a new email address or phone number.
How to deactivate an Instagram account temporarily or permanently?
Once you feel that you are done with Instagram, you have the option to either deactivate your account for a short time or delete it forever! If you would like to disable or delete your Instagram account, keep reading, and follow the step by step guides.
Deactivate Instagram account temporarily
Generally, to deactivate an Instagram account, users are limited to use Instagram on a browser to complete the action. Therefore, first of all, you should log into your Instagram account on a desktop through Instagram.com website address.
Follow the step by step guide below to deactivate your Instagram account temporarily:
- Log in to instagram.com from a computer
- Click on your profile picture in the top right and click “Profile”
- Then click on “Edit Profile”
- Scroll down and then click on “temporarily disable my account” in the bottom right.
- Select an option from “Why are you disabling your account?” and re-enter your password.
- The option to disable your account will only appear after selecting a reason from the menu and entering your password. So, you should fill the reason section.
Finally, click on “Temporarily Disable Account.”
What happens after deactivating an Instagram account?
Such a question might cross the users’ minds who want to disable their Instagram account for a short period since users are curious whether their likes and comments disappear while their account is disabled.
The answer is that the profile, photos, comments, and likes will be hidden until you want to reactivate the account by logging back in.
Deactivate Instagram account permanently
Since everything on your Instagram account will be deleted after permanently deactivating your account, it is recommended to download a copy of your information to have access to them whenever you need them.
To download your Instagram data on the app, do the following:
- Go to your Instagram profile and tap on “Settings”
- Click on the “Privacy and Security” tab and click “Request Download”
- Enter the email address where you would like to receive a link to your Instagram data, as well as your password.
- After 48 hours, you will receive an email with a link to your data
- Finally, click on “Download Data” to get the data
You can also download the data on the desktop by doing the following:
- Open your Instagram Profile and go to Setting
- Go to “Privacy and Security” and look for a section titled “Data Download”
- Click on “Request Download”
- Instagram will send a link to the email address you enter to download your post data within 48 hours. Enter the email address you want to use
- Next, confirm your Instagram password
- Finally, click on Download Data once you get the email
Follow the steps below to deactivate your Instagram account permanently:
1. Log into your Instagram account on a desktop by instagram.com website address.
2. Then, enter the Delete Your Account
3. Next, select an option from the dropdown menu next to “Why are you deleting your account?”
4. Re-enter your Instagram account’s password to make the permanently delete your account button appear.
5. Finally, click “Permanently delete my account.”
What happens after deactivating Instagram account permanently?
Once you deactivate your Instagram account permanently, it will be gone forever. In other words, you can’t use its login information to log into your account and access it.
Moreover, you are not allowed to use the deactivated Instagram account’s username for your new account. You should also know that after requesting your Instagram account’s permanent deletion, it may take up to 90 days until your account gets deleted.
If you think you may want to come back to your account, then deleting it permanently won’t be a good idea. In this case, disabling your Instagram account for a short time can be a better alternative.
Are you leaving Instagram because of not knowing its strategies?
Obviously, there might be different reasons when someone decides to leave Instagram, and one of them might be not knowing the best Instagram strategies or not being able to manage the account.
Then don’t worry about it!
AiSchedul is always there for every Instagram user who wants to promote their Instagram account and get good results. It provides users useful services including:
- Scheduling posts and stories
- Providing an Instagram link in bio tool
- Generating hashtags
- Monitoring any Instagram account
- Getting real Instagram followers
- Providing post and reward feature for Instagram giveaways
AiSchedul discount code
You can use the SAVE10B discount code on your first purchase to get 10% off on all the packages. The code will be expired by the end of 2021.
All in all
Although the number of users who join social media platforms is increasing lately, some may decide to leave Instagram or any other social media for good. You are free to create a new social media account or delete your account at any time.